Thursday, December 27, 2007

Local Food on the Shore and where to find it!

I just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, and Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and found it to be a thought provoking, easy to read book about eating local foods. I have been trying to do at least a few of the things Barbara's family tried in the book, and was thrilled to see an article in the Eastern Shore News about a local food group that is forming on the Shore! If you'd like to discover the pure joy of eating fresh, local food, made by real people you can actually talk to, then go to the Eastern Shore Local Food Project. Their website contains links to some of my favorite places to shop on the shore (a must shop stop is Herbal Instincts in Onancock--I'll have to do an entire blog entry on this lovely shop) as well as links to some of the local wineries! If you'd like to try a bottle of locally produced wine, then you must go to Chatham Vineyards, and try their wines. I'm no wine expert, but I do know a great tasting wine when I sip one, and their wines are a delight. Chatham Vineyards is only 10 minutes away from our Smith Beach cottages, and the ride there takes you off the main drag, and onto one of the prettiest drives up the shore! The vineyard and the grounds of the estate are breathtaking!

No comments: